ad37
default_main_ad1
default_setNet1_2

Sharing JADAM

A note of caution in regards to making JS

• D K
  • 2024-07-11
  • read : 1675
I've been growing vegetables, fruits and herbs with JADAM for about 7 years.
I've read every JADAM book a dozen of times. I've read every article and every forum post on the JADAM website, as well as every comment on the JADAM YouTube channel.
I've also been teaching JADAM for a few years and am currently finishing writing a book on JADAM farming.

Although I've only met Youngsang Cho through his books and posts on the Internet, he is the best teacher I've ever had and the person who has the biggest influence in my life. I bow deeply to him in gratitude for his monumental work.

I've made JS many times and want to spread a word of caution to all who want to make their own liquid sulfur fungicide.  

The chapter "Producing JADAM Sulfur" in the "JADAM Organic Pest and Disease" book says:

"Attention should be paid to maintain safety because the mixture can boil over when temperature is high or a small quantity  of water is added.
Perform the aforementioned process by wearing long rubber gloves and safety glasses, clothing and shoes.
Prepare 1 to 2L water to prevent overflow. Add it when needed."

The chapter "JADAM Sulfur" in the "JADAM Organic Farming" book says:

"Wear protective gloves, shoes, jacket and goggles.
Take caution: if water is too little or weather is too hot, it can over-boil.
Have 1-2 L (0.26-0.53 gal) of water handy to add in case it over-boils."

What is lost in translation here is that the time between the moment when you notice that your hot mixture of water, sulfur and caustic soda starts foaming, the level of liquid in your container rising rapidly, and the moment when that liquid ends up on your table, on your floor and all over your body is barely long enough to scream "Oh my God!"

When the level of boiling hot chemical soup in your container starts rising, you have only about 3 seconds to grab your prepared "emergency" water and dump it into the container before it boils over and half of the mixture is lost.

So wearing protective gear (a jacket and gloves, pants and shoes, goggles and a respirator mask), precisely measuring ingredients, carefully choosing equipment and checking temperature of air and water is not enough.

Rehearse your emergency plan every time before you start mixing chemicals!

And keep a bottle of vinegar within reach in case a liquid containing sodium hydroxide ends up on your skin. Vinegar is the best thing to quickly neutralize a skin burn caused by alkaline chemicals.
default_bottom
#top
default_bottom_notch